Friday, June 14, 2013

Zentangle Challenge #122 - Grid (Un) Locked

I went through a lot of conflict with this week's Zentangle Challenge from Laura at www.iamthedivaczt.blogspot.ca. And I'm still not so sure I "get" it. The challenge was based on the newsletter from Rick and Maria where they used grid "seeds" to create grid patterns. Maybe it's the way I think, but I thought that's in essence what we were doing all along? The other conflict I've been mulling over is: when does a tangelation become a new tangle? Sigh.... maybe you can answer, or maybe I'll find out more when I go to the CZT seminars in the fall... What I did in the end was just let the pen go to paper and see where it went (which often works out in surprising ways). I started by using a scrap of watercolor paper that I've been saving for bookmarks. I used I1 from the grid Rick and Maria posted and when I had drawn the main stream, didn't like it at all! I had also tried their neat "trick" of doing a line of grids on the outer edge 1/2 width to emphasize curves... so I started to fill in alternate lines, shaded it, and wow, what a change! Then I added a stream of Hi-C's (because I love what this tangle does when it's flipped). The bookmark was too empty, so I added another stream of the original I1 pattern, but alternated thicker and thinner lines in each grid and filled in the triangles (diamonds) instead. Totally different look. I loved this exercise which really showed me how grid patterns can change with fills, direction etc. I'm quite happy with it. My second tile was done with a lot less worry and planning - I divided it up into 4 sections and chose 4 tangles. Crescent Moon and Ving look really neat when they are flipped from grid to grid. I've loved Moving Day since I first saw it and though I tried on scrap to flip it around, it wasn't nearly so effective, so I just did it as it's "supposed" to be. Verve wasn't quite the effect I expected either, but... So, here they are, and now I can go look at what others have done, and maybe I'll find I wasn't the only one having a bit of difficulty with this one. (But in the end, when I push myself, I always learn and am astounded by the results, so thank you Laura! and Rick and Maria!)

4 comments:

Chrissie said...

I am loving your little seedlings of Crescent Moon. Brilliant tiles.

Anneke (Merry-Go-Round) said...

Chrissie is quite right! And Ving with orbs looks amazing too!!

Tangles and More said...

Like the first one you did a lot. Really like the way the larger grid seed that comes down from the top. The perspective and line work on it is great. Have fun at the CZT training.

Anne's tangle blog said...

Yes, this Cresent Moon if fabolous. I think you're right, this is what we always do.